More than words from Pastor Bernie Federmann

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

God Is Our Shepherd - Today!


Today I find myself listening for God’s voice and heart. Several times I have attempted to write my weekly piece and have been interrupted by various responsibilities and those “pop ups” that happen to all of each day. As I write our youth band is practicing for tonight’s youth service and their music and heart is getting to me. They love God authentically and simply and it moves my heart. But then again, whenever I see people using what God has given them and serving Him, it moves my heart. A few minutes ago, the youth band was leading the chorus, “Your Grace Is Enough.” I hear my Shepherd say that to me, and I hope somehow you can grasp that for your life and situation no matter what you are facing today or this week.
You may have heard the old story of the Christian gathering in the old country church. A gathering in which various members would display their talents to the congregation. Mr. Jones who had a very good Shakespearean voice recited Psalm 23 for the audience in its entirety. It was so good that everyone applauded. Then Smitty, an old farmer, was asked to do something for the audience. He initially refused saying that he had no talent and that the only thing he knew how to do was to recite Psalm 23 also but declined to do so because Mr. Jones had done such a great job before him. But he was pressed into doing it by the pastor. He began Psalm 23 and also related how it had comforted him when his wife had died. As he continued with, “He leads me beside quiet waters” he told the story of how a drought almost ruined him but God saw him through those dark times. Smitty related how he had wanted to give up his farm in desperation but Psalm 23 brought him instead to a place where he would “lie down in green pastures.” “These pastures” he said, allowed him trust in God and rest in His grace even in trying times. He went on and unfolded his long life before the audience and interwove it with the comfort he received from the Psalm. At the end of his recitation not a sound could be heard. Everyone was awed into silence. Finally, Mr. Jones said, “I may know the 23rd Psalm, but Smitty here knows the Shepherd of the 23rd Psalm and that makes all the difference in the world.”
So, I simply encourage you to trust God today, even now as you read this and know that God is your Shepherd who wants to be known by you.
Now if God is a Shepherd then we are his sheep and you know where I am going with that. Sheep are not the smartest animals. They are prey animals – in other words predatory animals hunt them for food. Sheep need a shepherd because they tend to go astray – like humans do at times.



  • We need the Shepherd to Guide us and we must Follow.

Dr. James Dobson told a story about how his father would take him into the woods and they would hide near a place where deer came to feed. When the deer came to feed they would be able to take pictures without the deer knowing. His father pointed out that because the deer is thinking it is safe eating that free food he is also vulnerable to hunters who could have brought guns instead of cameras. It is a lot like life – we could be moving into a trap set by the devil. So draw near the Shepherd instead.



  • We need to trust the Shepherd, especially when we become weak.


As the Bible says, “The Lord … knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust” (Ps. 103:14). In other words, He already knows our weaknesses so “… let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Heb. 4:16).



  • We need to trust the Shepherd for our restoration.

“He restores my soul; and He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake” (Ps. 23:3). Often we do not want God to bother us. But God we need to remember that God searches for us to restore us. If we remain unrestored we are then vulnerable to the Devil. So let Him find you, call out to Him and let Him restore you.



  • We need to draw close to the Shepherd so that He can heal us.

    I love this line, “You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows’ (Ps. 23:5). Always remember, “Jesus said … ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep … If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved …’” (John 10:7,9). Jesus is the shepherd of Psalm 23.
    If you follow and let Jesus shepherd you, you will know goodness and loving kindness all your life and will live forever in Heaven. But the Lord asks us to trust Him especially when we are weak and even though we cannot see His purpose. He asks us to trust him in the “sweet and sour” times of life. We must remember that He searches for us in order to restore us not to hurt us. I sensed today, for me and possibly for you, that it would be good for you to remember you have a Shepherd who cares deeply about you. A Shepherd who lives with love and grace towards us. His love is extravagant and His grace is enough for you – right now.
    I really need Him today, how about you? Let’s go to Him and allow Him to Shepherd us.
    A fellow sheep,

    Pastor Bernie Federmann

    PS: I trust you will move forward in your journaling each day and to listen to what God might reveal to you through His word. Some on our team at LFC are posting their journal entries online and desire to share them with you. You can access them here http://lfchurch.wordpress.com/ you can also learn more about the journaling process here http://lfchurch.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/how-to-journal/

No comments: