More than words from Pastor Bernie Federmann

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Remaining a Life Long Learner

Scripture:
Deuteronomy 32: 1 - 7
Listen, O heavens, and I will speak; hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass,like abundant rain on tender plants. I will proclaim the name of the LORD.Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect,and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he. They have acted corruptly toward him; to their shame they are no longer his children,but a warped and crooked generation. Is this the way you repay the LORD, O foolish and unwise people? Is he not your Father, your Creator, who made you and formed you? Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you. (NIV)
Observation:
God’s way is perfect and His life is stable like a Rock. Rock is more than a name, it denotes the character of God Himself. He is faithful in all He does and never has been or will be wrong. He is the master teacher and life goes best when we follow Him. In this Psalm we see how easy it is to disregard His teachings and believe we know best. We can follow the “warped and crooked generation” and move away from wisdom and become foolish. It is easy to do. But it is up to us to keep an open, teachable heart and always be a student.
Application:
Whenever we loose our way, we must take a look at God once again. Not only is He a Rock, but He is also a Father and desires us to be His children. Children He can teach and train in His ways. He is the Creator and desires that we remember He formed us and that we are the creature. This passage calls us to remember the days of old – to consider what God has done in generations before us. We are not the only ones who have ever been or ever will be. We need to seek out those who have gone before us, both biblical (historical) and those in our lives (present). We need to learn from these “divine mentors” God has placed in our lives and allowed their stories through the bible to be told and retold to us. Others have walked where we are about to walk. The problem is not that the truth is hard to uncover or that there is a lack of wise guidance. The problem is that we are not always willing to be students, and learn from others. We are not always willing to be life-long learners.

  • Where can I learn today from someone else?
  • Where have I forgotten the “rockness” or my God?
  • Where have I ceased learning and growing?
  • Who can I ask to show me the terrain up ahead, since they have already walked it?

Prayer:
Dear Lord, show me the areas that I am not seeking wisdom and truth. Reveal the areas in which I am allowing the warped and crooked to have place in my mind and heart. Give me the courage to run to you and seek your face and your truth. I will grow Lord and I will remain and learner in all things. In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments: